Thermoforming Mold Making
Thermoforming mold making is a process used by manufacturers to produce products and product packaging. Thermoforming of blister packaging is extremely popular within the pharmaceutical packaging industry and thermoformed plastic is used to package virtually any type of consumer product. Many of the molds for thermoforming are machined from aluminum and require a CNC milling machine capable of producing very smooth surface finishes. For achieving a smooth surface finish and milling aluminum thermoforming molds DATRON high speed CNC machining centers offer the following advantages:
- High Speed Spindles (up to 60,000 RPM) - The high spindle speed reduces the chip load which reduces the forces between the tool and the material. High-speed/low-force machining yields less heat, reduces tool deflection, and allows machining of thinner walled work pieces. This all results in cooler machining, superior surface quality and better accuracy.
- Spray-Mist Coolant System - The spray-mist coolant system minimizes the time consuming and expensive maintenance issues associated with flood-type coolant systems. It is a highly-effective method of cooling and can reduce or even eliminate degreasing and disposal costs.
- Probing / Surface Scanning - scans surface, recognizes irregular work-piece topography and compensates for it dynamically
- Automatic Tool Changer - up to 45 tool stations depending on machine model, includes tool-length and breakage detection
- Vacuum Table Workholding - vacuum tables from 12" x 18" up to 24" x 36" provide quick setup of sheet material
- Pneumatic Clamping Systems - pneumatic, shortstroke clamps that minimize setup times for redundant processes
- 5-Axis Capability - integrated trunnion-style rotary axis for multisided milling of aluminum (watch video)
LEARN MORE: View our Thermoforming Mold Making Showcase (at the bottom of the page) and download our Thermoforming Case Study (below):
Milling machines for thermoforming mold making - While all DATRON machines can be utilized for thermoforming mold making, here are a few specific models that you may want to look at: M8Cube, M10Pro and MLCube (see page bottom for reasons).
Do you have an thermoforming application?
Part of our sales process is to qualify our equipment for your application. We have a staff of product specialists and application engineers who can help to address your specific challenges.
Use the FORM (right) to initiate a conversation.
Or call us at 888.262.2833
Thermoforming Mold Making Parts Showcase (Sample Photos):