Milling Extrusions and Profiles
Aluminum extrusions and profiles are often quite long. So, milling them requires a machining center with an ample work area. DATRON high speed milling machines accommodate extrusions a several ways. First, they feature large machining beds with up to 64" x 99" of travel in X and Y. Additionally, models like the MV 1500 allow for vertical clamping at the front of the machine to fixture very tall work pieces. A rotary axis can be mounted in this area for multi-sided milling of aluminum extrusions. Plus, all of our machines have high speed spindles (up to 60,000 RPM) which are ideal for efficient milling of aluminum. DATRON high speed machining centers can be equipped with the following:
- Probing / Surface Scanning - scans surface, recognizes irregular work-piece topography and compensates for it dynamically
- Automatic Tool Changer - up to 45 tool stations depending on machine model, includes tool-length and breakage detection
- Vacuum Table Workholding - vacuum tables from 12" x 18" up to 24" x 36" provide quick setup of sheet material
- Pneumatic Clamping Systems - pneumatic, shortstroke clamps that minimize setup times for redundant processes
- 5-Axis Capability - integrated trunnion-style rotary axis for multisided milling of aluminum (watch video)
- CleanCut Chip Removal - vacuum technology developed specifically for sheet material machining
- Automation - digital I/O allows for installation of 3rd party devices and full control through the machining program
LEARN MORE: View our Aluminum Extrusion Milling Showcase (at the bottom of the page).
Extrusion Milling Machines - While all DATRON machines are capable of Milling aluminum extrusions and profiles, here are a few specific models that you may want to look at: M8Cube, M10 Pro and MLCube (see page bottom for reasons).
Do you have an extrusion milling application?
Part of our sales process is to qualify our equipment for your application. We have a staff of product specialists and application engineers who can help to address your specific challenges.
Use the FORM (right) to initiate a conversation.
Or call us at 888.262.2833
Extrusion Milling Showcase (Sample Photos):